Quinta de Cidrô


Quinta de Cidrô



In 1993 we planted the first rows of Chardonnay as a starting point for our experimental project at the Quinta. The first Chardonnay was produced in 1996 by the hand of Jerry Luper, a Californian winemaker who had previously been involved with the famous 1973 Chateau Montalena from Napa Valley. In 1997, the variety’s fast adaptation to the Douro’s terroir combined with Luper’s touch resulted in a memorable Chardonnay, which went on to win many awards. This was a turning point for Real Companhia Velha in the search for premium quality wines.

Grape Varieties: Chardonnay

Tasting Notes: A clean, bright Chardonnay with an attractive and intense yellow colour, that impresses for its concentration and deep flavour exhibiting complex tropical fruit aromas of pineapple, peach and pair combined with oaky nuances and butterish notes. Excellent acidity, refreshing and well balanced, seems to linger forever.

Winemaking and Ageing: Fermentation takes place in French oak barriques for 80% of the wine, the remaining 20% ferments in stainless steel vats at controlled temperature. The Chardonnay fermented in oak then stays in barriques for eight months in contact with lies, experiencing regular batonnage. The final blend proportion between the wine fermented in oak and the one in stainless steel occurs before bottling, in order to achieve the desired balanced between the fruit and the oak caracter.

Food Pairing: Codfish, Spicy Chorizo, Grilled Octopus, Tandoori Chicken, Camembert Cheese, Bernauise Sauce. Best served at a temperature of 12ºC to 14ºC. Drink now or cellar for 10 to 15 years.

Only 1 units of this product remain
Type White Wine
Year 2018
Region Douro
Producer Real Companhia Velha
Capacity 750ml
Alcohol 13.5% Vol
Production 64.000 Bottles

You may also like